Tuesday, September 29, 2009

They That Were Ready Went In...


Where's your oil?


I was reading Matthew 25(KJV) today. There were 10 virgins, the Bible says. Five were wise and five were foolish. They were all waiting for the bridegroom but the foolish virgins brought no oil to light their lamps. When the bridegroom arrived, they asked the wise virgins to share, but to no avail. What if there wasn't enough left to light their own lamps after they shared with their five foolish comrades? So, the foolish virgins went to get their own oil, and while they were gone, the bridegroom came. This is what the Bible records in verse 10:


And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.

They that were ready went in...

This made me ask myself how ready I am for my King to return. Do I have my oil? Or has the zeal of my first love run dry? The funny thing about these virgins was that they were all pure, they were all waiting for the bridegroom. Only five of them, however, were ready while they waited. Only five were prepared for that cry in the midnight hour proclaiming the coming of the bridegroom.

Let's not wait in vain. Let's choose Jesus, and after we've chosen Him lets run toward Him with everything we have. No dilly dallying. No more playing church. No more agendas and programs. Let's be a people who are after the heart of Jesus, not just waiting for His hand in marriage.
I don't want to be caught unaware. I don't want to hear the cry of Christ's coming and realize, belatedly, that my lantern is dry and unlit. We have to constantly fill our vessels with oil. This takes dedication, prayer, worship, the Word, fasting. Do we love our Bridegroom enough to keep the fire burning? Is the passion still there?

When the bridegroom comes, I want to be ready. I want to go in with Him to the marriage. When the door is shut, I want to be locked in with my King, and with all of my wise brothers and sisters. Then we will worship Jesus forever more.

1 comment: