Thursday, January 28, 2010

I Consider Them Rubbish...


The unfortunate thing is that we live within the confines of the glaringly obvious. We, as children of God, know that there is more to this life than the things that we see. Knowing this does not, however, give us an automatic pass from this world to the next. We must stay here. We must press on to take hold of that for which Christ took hold of us (Philippians 3:12).

Although we live in this world, we have the wonderful blessing of not being of it. We get to enjoy this world to the fullest extent because we can take joy in those things against which there is no law. This is where we find our fortune: In seeking God until we see Him face to face. As we seek Him, we find that we become uncommonly disinterested in the things of this world, as our gaze is focused solely on the object of our desire: Jesus Christ.

I think that Paul felt this way. In Philippians 3:7-8 (NIV), he says:

But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ

Paul says here that everything that he once found profit with now seems to produce only loss. The things that he once held in high esteem are now nothing compared to his ultimate goal: knowing Jesus. This "surpassing greatness" proves more honorable, more precious than any other thing. Everything that once took priority in life is now rubbish compared to gaining Christ.

What things in our lives are important to us? I assure you that these things are worth less than nothing compared to the beauty and the privilege of knowing Jesus in pure and intimate relationship. Being established in this truth, let us reach for and press toward those things that are important. Let's press on toward Jesus, toward His cause and toward His church.

1 comment:

  1. It looks like this has been the resounding message from God's heart for the month of January. It's been resounding in my ears...

    Great write-up!

    ReplyDelete