Wednesday, January 7, 2009

How knowest Thou me?

I want to meet Jesus. Like, really really badly. Face to face.

I was reading John 1 today, and it got me thinking and praying. This chapter describes Jesus' arrival on the hot scene. His introduction -of sorts- into the mainstream society of His day. Jesus comes in contact with many of His closest friends in this chapter. There were two meetings, however, that caught the eye of my heart. The first is when He meets Peter in verse 42.

"And he brought him to Jesus. And when Jesus beheld him, He said, "Thou art Simon, the son of Jonah. Thou shalt be called Cephas" (which is by interpretation, "a stone")."

Peter's brother, Andrew had found out that "the Christ", the Messiah, was in town and he ran to find his brother and tell him. When Peter finally came face to face with Jesus, He told him exactly who he was- Simon, son of Jonah. And then Jesus proceeds to tell him who he is in Christ- Cephas, the stone. Jesus -knowing Peter before he was formed in his mother's womb- showed Peter what made him special. And Peter was hooked after this.

The next part that spoke to me was in verses 47-49:

"47Jesus saw Nathanael coming to Him, and said of him, "Behold, an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile!"
48Nathanael said unto Him, "How knowest Thou me?" Jesus answered and said unto him, "Before Philip called thee, when thou wast under the fig tree, I saw thee."
49Nathanael answered and said unto Him, "Rabbi, Thou art the Son of God; Thou art the King of Israel."


What astounds me here is that Jesus saw Nathanael and immediately saw the beauty in him. He saw what made Nathanael special. And Nathanael asked a very poignant question then. Nathanael asked, "How do you know me?" And I don't think he meant knowing as on a first name basis. I think that Nathanael wondered how Jesus knew him. Intimately. Knew his inner man. The part of him with no guile. Jesus replied in a manner that makes me think that Jesus saw Nathanael when no one else was looking. When no one else cared...

At Jesus' answer Nathanael couldn't help but to burst forth in praise.

This is why I want to meet Jesus. I want to know me through His eyes. I want to know this man who can see me when no one else does. I want to see the humility in His eyes as He looks into mine. I want to look and see those kind eyes of His tell me how much He loves me. I want to see Him and I want it to change the way I praise Him...

No comments:

Post a Comment